Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Twitter Effect and Standards Based Reporting

What has started off as a few innocuous questions is gaining huge momentum.  Who knew that responding to a tweet could have a potentially large impact on an entire district?  A simple twitter conversation around eliminating letter grades led to me sending an email to an assistant superintendent which then led to a conversation in person between the 3 main participants of that conversation.  From there it grew to a potential committee of about 9 schools, which then led to an email to the 70 some odd schools in the district to which about another dozen or so schools have responded that they are interested in taking this on.

I have to admit that I am borderline freaking out right now because I thought this might be a small group.  I was wrong.  My assistant superintendent is lining up potential facilitators, using connections to bring in some amazing people and looking for a way to get this project subsidized.  My superintendent is sending me references for material that I should be looking at.  We had our district volleyball tournament and teachers are coming up to me and telling me how excited they are to be a part of this.  I am stoked, but also quietly shaking in my boots.

I guess we are going to have to call this the "Twitter Effect" rather than the "Butterfly Effect".  If someone tweets in Coquitlam, BC, what can happen? Now I guess I get to the point of my post.  Help!!!!!  I had the opportunity to virtually take part in the Educon session Standards Based Grading: Is it fair? by Kristen Swanson and Mike Ritzius.  I loved the presentation and the conversations that I could overhear, but I really enjoyed the virtual chat that I was able to take part in.  Through that chat I was given 4 great resources as a starting point:

  1. The Journey of SBG

  2. Why do we grade the way we do? A Simulation

  3. To grade, or not to grade: that is the question!

I am going to put together a quick google doc to try and collect as much information and resources on standard based grading/assessment.  Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!  Please find the document here:

Standards Based Reporting

Thanks for any help, ideas or suggestions that you can offer.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Remi - For me, Ken O'Connor is THE thought leader when it comes to grading. He has 2 books - HOW TO GRADE FOR LEARNING and REPAIR KIT: 15 FIXES FOR BROKEN GRADES. In my opinion, any conversation about grading that doesn't thoroughly examine Ken's work is incomplete. The question in timely. In SD67 we have had a lot of conversation re: grades....currently piloting "no grades" for grades 4 & 5 in one of our elementary schools. So far so good. Good luck. Please feel free to contact me for further discussion.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete